Severe or acute behaviour problems are one-off high-level incidents that occur infrequently, but are so serious that they can cause teachers to question their own professional competence. Such problems present a high risk of damage to property and also to personal safety.
With this DVD you learn how to:
- Deal with acute behaviour situations
- Explore effective systems for gaining help
- Protect yourself from physical and psychological attack
Section 1 uses specific examples of acute and severe incidents in the
classroom. You explore the effects on both the individual pupil, the whole group
and, specifically, on the teacher, including emotional upset and fear,
interruptions to learning, anger and frustration.
Section 2 highlights early warning signs, disruptive ‘off-task’ behaviour,
physical threats, arguments, anger and violence, direct verbal threats, damage
to property, defiance and refusal to apply instruction, and leaving the teaching
area without permission.
You learn how to:
- Respond assertively
- Focus on personal safety for both teacher and pupils
- Gain assistance
- Use a scripted response
- Remove a pupil from the classroom
- Carry out one-to-one conferences
- Use individual behaviour plans
Section 3 uses practical scenarios to help you:
- Establish a clear sense of inevitability about using consequences
- Assess legal implications
- Use muscle memory
- Ensure the safety of all pupils
- Record and report incidents
- Assess the risk in any planned response
- Adhere to National and School Policy Guidelines
- Involve stakeholders (parents/carers)
Section 4 concludes with a question-and-answer session with the studio audience.
Total running time: 40 minutes.
Also included are handouts and useful discussion points as a pdf on the disc.
Dave Stott is a leading UK trainer, consultant and author in pupil behaviour management. He believes good behaviour can be taught and that teachers need to be well prepared in their response to any given situation. Formerly a head teacher and Head of Special Provision for Children with Emotional and Behavioural Difficulty, and latterly Head of Behaviour Support Services, Northamptonshire, Dave now specialises in training in emotional literacy, anger management, behaviour, inclusion and reintegration work across all phases, in both mainstream and special education.